Are you innovative, intellectually curious, and looking for satisfyingworkwithamission of providing zealous advocacy for indigent defendants charged in federal cases? Are you experienced in the use of CaseMap, and familiar with supporting criminal defense in income tax and financial fraud cases? Oregon is accepting applications from experienced criminal defense paralegals to join the Office of the Federal Public Defender in advocating for indigent defendants facing criminal charges in federal court as a temporary, hourly, litigation support paralegal.
· Assist in all aspects of case preparation.
· Assist attorneys and investigators with client contact.
· Assist with trial preparation and litigation support.
· Primary tasks will include document review and fact development in CaseMap.
· Provide litigation support, including managing and analyzing electronically stored information.
· Demonstrably experienced in the use of CaseMap, and familiar with supporting criminal defense in income tax and financial fraud cases.
· Demonstrated exceptional organizational skills are required.
· Strong written and verbal communication, technology, and interpersonal skills are required.
· Must be a high school graduate or the equivalent.
· Must have a minimum of 4 years of work experience, at least 1 of which must be specialized, relevant experience.
· A demonstrated commitment and comfort working with diverse communities and with clients from a range of backgrounds.
· A proven commitment to indigent criminal defense.
· Criminal defense experience, especially in federal cases.
The anticipated start date for this position will be in July 2021. This position is for a limited term, not to exceed November 30, 2021, will be hourly, not to exceed 40 hours per week.
This position qualifies for remote work.
This position is “at-will,” excepted service, and does not carry the tenure rights of the competitive Civil Service. This position qualifies for an hourly rate of $20 to $70 per hour (JSP 9 to 14), commensurate with experience based on the Defender Offices Classification System Paralegal scale.
Salaryis paid biweekly, and payableonlybydirectdeposit.
If you have a positive attitude, like a challenge, and want to be a part of a nenergetic criminal defense team, please e-mail a letter of interest that includes a description of relevant digital skills, a resume, a writing sample, and three references in .pdf format to the attention of:
Kip Manley,Chief Paralegal
Subject: Paralegal - Casemap
Open until filled. Applications will be reviewed as they are received. All responses will remain confidential. Only candidates inconsideration for this position will be contacted.
We encourage applications from individuals with diverse perspectives, especially people historically underrepresented in the practice of law.
The Federal Public Defender’s Office is committed to improving diversity in the legal profession. The nature of our work leads us to recruit colleagues who demonstrate experience with, knowledge of, and sensitivity to the needs of culturally diverse and systemically oppressed populations.
The Federal Public Defender is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
No phonecalls please.
See FAQ at http://or.fd.org/content/employment for additional information and requirements.
Temporary, Hourly Criminal Defense Paralegal - July to November
Job Description (PDF):